The Need For Devising Adequate Privacy Policies
The privacy policies are usually post on a company’s social media website through a hyper-link at the bottom of the page. Although it is accessible on-line, the practices for personal data collection that took place off-line can also be obtained through hard-copy files, audio or video records.
Why Privacy Policies Need to be Unique to a Company
- Their name and concise detail
- Reasons for storing your private data
- What types of personal information do they collect?
- How do they collect and store your personal details?
- Procedure for requesting for corrections in your information
- How will the organization use and disclose your information
- Who can have access to your information if it is disclose?
Why do Companies/ Organizations Collect Personal Information?
- To communicate with clients more effectively
- And To learn more about the products and services being requesting from the company
- To legally carry out all services and activities
- For personalizing and tailoring the customer’s experience according to the organization’s regulations
- To easily fulfill clients’ orders and to deliver them the required services
- For marketing their products that may interest the customer
- For employment purposes when making offers to potential job applicants
What Type of Personal Information is Collecting?
The type of personal information collected depends on one’s relationship with the organization. Some instances include:
Job Applicant – seeking employment
Name, contact number, email, address, age, gender, payment details, medical history, resume, previous employment experience, qualifications, university degree etc.
Name, contact number, email, address, age, gender, passport, payment method, medical history, drivers license. And previous tenancy histories, tenancy database records and ownership records etc.
Name, address, email address, contact telephone number, insurance policies, emergency contact, billing details, information about products and services supplied etc.
Name, contact number, email, address, age, gender, payment details, medical history, training, resignation, terms and conditions of the employment etc.
Sometimes very personalized information is also require but it is in line with the client’s approval and comfort. This may include one’s religious or philosophical beliefs, political inclinations, medical history, genetic conditions, sexual orientation, criminal records or racial background.
How do Companies Collect and Store Data?
This is done by fair means either by asking the client directly or through third party intervention.
- In person
- Emails or written correspondence
- Business cards
- Telephone calls
- Company’s website
- Surveillance cameras
- Application forms
- Third party medium such as publicly available sources – internet/social media
Therefore, the final takeaway is that regulation of appropriate privacy policies in 2022 is the need of the day. Investing the company’s resources into this will have unintended benefits and encourage the client’s confidence.